This post explores the 5th Chakra, and encompasses: Voice – Expression – Truth – Authenticity – Communication.
“If you feel something calling you to dance or write or paint or sing, please refuse to worry about whether you’re good enough. Just do it. Be generous. Offer a gift to the world that no one else can offer: Yourself.” Glennon Doyle
In connection to yoga, firstly, I feel it’s helpful to share which Chakra is connected to these topics of conversation. And I’m sure it’s no surprise that it is the…
Throat Chakra – 5th Chakra
NAME: Vissudha (meaning) “purification”.
LOCATION: Throat (also includes mouth, ears, shoulders).
ELEMENT: Ether / Space.
COLOUR: Sky blue.
PURPOSE: Communication, purification, attunement, creative expression, develop inner voice.
RIGHT: To speak and be heard.
CORE VALUE: Truth.
“Authenticity is the daily practice of letting go who we think we’re supposed to be and embracing who we are.” Brene Brown
10 Questions To Reflect Upon…
- Is there something you are not honest with yourself about? Maybe in denial about?
- Are you authentic with others, with good honest intentions?
- Is there something you are not expressing (emotions, needs, creative impulses etc.) for lack of freedom to do so, fear of the outcome, or how you will cope with others’ responses?
- Are you a good listener? Do you listen with receptivity and compassion, or do you dominate conversations?
- What do you find hard to communicate?
- What do you find hard to hear?
- Are you pretending to be something or feel something?
- Are your words and expressions harming others, or are they respectful and empowering to others?
- Are there any people whose words and expression hurt or offend you?
- Is your voice, truth or expression being suppressed by someone or something? Or has it been significantly repressed in the past?
Looking at your answers, you may realise or feel that your Throat Chakra may well be blocked or unbalanced and could benefit from a little attention, work and love. Here are some other signs to look out for…
Signs Of A Balanced Throat Chakra
- Clear, healthy communication.
- Good listening, understand others.
- Attunement with surroundings.
- Can express your creative impulses freely.
- Know and speak your truth.
Signs Of An Unbalanced, Blocked Throat Chakra
- Trouble expressing yourself (lack confidence, trust, or feel stifled).
- Unhealthy or blocked communication.
- Shy, difficulty speaking, a speech impediment.
- Not connected to your truth.
- Lacking authenticity, lying, pretending.
- Prone to gossip.
- Loud, scattered, talks too much.
- Frequent sore throats, eating disorders, tightness of the jaw, teeth clenching, hearing problems, thyroid imbalance.
It’s important to note that we ideally want all 7 Chakras to be balanced so they can support one another. For example, how can you express yourself creatively if you’re blocked in your creative centre, the 2nd Chakra? Isn’t it interesting how the throat chakra is located between the head and the heart?
Bonus Yoga Teaching On Truthfulness – Satya
The snippet below is from Yoga International and is a concise and helpful summary…
“Satya (truthfulness), the second of the five Yamas (restraints) described in the Yoga Sutra, guides us to think, speak, and act with integrity. The word sat means “that which exists, that which is.” Satya, therefore, is seeing and communicating things as they actually are, not as we wish them to be. This can be quite challenging since we all perceive life through a conditioned mindset: our thoughts, beliefs, and past experiences shape and color whatever we see, and, as such, none of us experience an event in the same way. Also, what we experience as truth one day may not be the same truth we live the next. Practicing Satya requires staying open to truth in the present moment, as it reveals itself.”
Final Take Away
Even if you haven’t fully understood all the teachings in this post, I hope what I have shared at least raises your awareness of…
How well you use your Voice.
How well you Express yourself.
How well you connect to and share your Truth.
How well you show up in the world with Authenticity.
How well you listen and Communicate.