“Vinyasa Flow” is the style of yoga in which I trained, however, I will always offer a class to suit your wants and needs, whether that be delivering a class that is more calm and meditative or more dynamic and energising.
In Vinyasa Flow Yoga, the postures and transitions are carried out with smooth, controlled movement and are synchronised with the breath. Vinyasa means ‘to place with special awareness and intention’, lending itself towards a fluid and mindful practice.
Class Style + Structure
- An opening meditation, often with a Mudra (hand gesture), during which time I will discuss the class theme/intention for that day, which may be inspired by yoga philosophy, positive psychology, chakras, an inspiring quote, current events… anything that can help awaken our minds and assist us on our journey to becoming wiser, more conscious and compassionate beings (to ourselves and others).
- An intelligent, creative sequencing of postures follows at a steady pace in a fluid style, warming up your body and mind as we work towards one or two specific, challenging “peak” poses.
- Throughout class there will be guidance to keep you focussed on intentional breath, in order to help keep the rhythm of the breath steady and to help calm the nervous system.
- There will be careful hands on assistance to help keep your physical alignment safe and to encourage you to deepen the postures where possible.
- I will also incorporate specific Pranayama (breathing) exercises, either in the opening, at the end, or during the postures in class.
- If you are open to chanting or singing mantras I find these beautiful and beneficial to include in the practise.
- The class length varies from 60 mins to 90 mins.
- The class level and intensity varies, depending on your energy level, emotional state and ability, or which ‘Level’ the class is geared towards at the studio you attend.
Physical, Emotional + Mental Benefits (during + after)
- Improves your flexibility.Builds muscle strength, mental strength and resilience.
- Perfects your posture.
- Improves balance.
- Prevents cartilage and joint breakdown. (Supports your connective tissue.)
- Protects your spine.
- Betters your bone health.
- Increases your blood flow.
- Improve various measures of lung function.
- Drains your lymphs and boosts immunity.
- Increases your heart rate.
- Lower blood pressure.
- Regulates your adrenal glands.
- Helps you focus better.
- Relaxes nervous system and relieves tension.
- Prevents IBS and other digestive problems.
- Improves your sleep.
- Encourages self love and self care.
- A deeper connection to yourself (a sense of “coming home”) and a more compassionate connection to others, helping build better relationships.
- Develops balance between being calm, patient and grounded, and inspired, uplifted and revitalised.
- Improves one’s outlook on life, self-esteem, mental attitude.
- Builds awareness for transformation.
- A grateful, open, forgiving, loving heart.
- Maybe a few laughs or sometimes healing tears.
- A “cleansed” feeling both in body and mind.
- An increased level of energy, happiness and wellbeing.
Audible + Audio
- I will always guide you through the class with specific verbal cues to help you understand the postures and transitions, and to help you improve your physical alignment, in order to avoid injury.
- I weave contemplations upon the theme into the physical practise, and will also remind you to keep connected with your intention to help the wandering mind.
- I play music in class as the playlists I create support the pace and style of the class (but the music is not absolutely necessary should you prefer to practise without it during a private class).
Unfit, inflexible, weak or injured?
- Then yoga could be the best remedy for you. One-on-one classes would be particularly beneficial as I can tailor the class to suit your needs by; working around your specific injuries or health conditions, helping you build strength in the areas where it is lacking, improve flexibility where you are tight, and increase your fitness with dynamic, flowing, demanding movement.
Stressed, exhausted or need something a little more relaxing?
- Then you might be interested in my unique one-on-one Relax and Restore classes.
- I have clients who are physically and mentally burnt out and they use these classes to calm their nervous system and restore their energy. I also have yoga students who are ready to take their yoga practice a little deeper, moving beyond just the physical practice.
- The sessions are meditation based but are blended with gentle yoga (Yin/Restorative/Hatha), mindfulness, breath work and massage.
- Why do I offer this blend? Because I find that most clients who find themselves in this state of dis-ease need some assistance in relaxing the body and mind first, in order to more easily and quickly enter into a meditative state, and the practises mentioned above help with just that. Also 45 minutes of meditation (which is the length of the class) is often too challenging for clients new to meditation. Over time as you build up your physical strength and flexibility and your skills of observing and quietening the mind then I will be able to lead you through longer meditations.
- These classes are extremely complementary to a yoga students physical (asana) practise. The energy of this class is Yin based and therefore counter balances the Yang energy of a strong yoga practise (or physical workout for that matter).
- I will teach you tips and techniques that you can implement in your day to day lives to help you cultivate more peace, emotional balance, and clarity of thought, both in your personal and professional lives.
- This session will leave you feeling calm, centered and refreshed.
If you have any questions about my Yoga or Meditation classes, or wish to book a session with me then please get in touch by clicking the link below. I look forward to hearing from you…